At Surf Happens, safety and fun are number one. All instructors are certified by the American Red Cross in first aid, CPR, and have also participated in the Surf Happens Ocean Rescue and Surfing First Aid course which is the only of it’s kind in our region.
Our First Responder course is mandatory for all instructors and is designed to prepare them for ocean centric emergency situations through practice, preparation, and repetitions. In case of emergency our instructors goals are to act as first responders providing initial first aid, stabilizing victims and if necessary activating the Emergency Action Plan (EAP).
From one on one instruction to surf camps, and large group outings, we have you covered. First aid kits are on hand for all programs.
First Responder Certification Highlights
1. Ocean rescue For Conscious and Unconscious Victims.
2. Ocean rescue and spine stabilization for neck and back injuries.
3. How to remain calm, collected, and confident in all situations and techniques to keeping victims calm.
4. First aid for cuts, lacerations, bruises, sprains, & breaks
5. How to create a soft splint for neck, leg, or any broken or severely sprained appendage.
6. Creating, pressure bandage to stop bleeding, and slings for breaks and sprains.
7. First aid for bites and stings
Other: Practicing saving a drowning victim