Covid 19: Safety Protocols
The health and safety of our community is our top priority, and throughout the fall we will continue to monitor these guidelines to ensure that protocol is followed. Due to our unique outdoor program environment our risk for transmitting SARS-CoV-2 is low and allows us to provide a much needed experience for social and physical interaction for the children.
Surf Happens is following and meeting all CDC and county guidelines and we have added new rules and guidelines to our operations to facilitate a safe and fun environment for campers and staff.
This document is living and may change based on new California and Santa Barbara County guidelines. (Last updated 11/11/20)
- All parents and family members dropping off and/or picking up kids must maintain social distance from those outside their group and wear masks during pick up and drop off. (not required by CDC for outdoors, but just as added safety protocol)
- All students and staff members must have their temperature taken the night before and the morning prior to each camp day and confirm at check in
- If a student or staff member has been sick within the 14 days prior to camp or has come into contact with Covid like symptoms (fever of 100 degrees or higher) we ask they be kept home. We will offer a credit for another week or a full refund.
- In the case that a student or staff member shows any signs or symptoms throughout the day, that child’s caregiver will be called and immediately sent home with conditions closely monitored.
- Hand sanitizer and face masks will be available on the beach for students, parents and staff.
- Children will be asked to wash and/or sanitize their hands prior to eating snacks or lunch.
- Staff will work with the same small group of students for the entire week (1:4 or 1:2 ratio)
- Instructors and kids above age 13 will wear masks during check-in/check-out when a concentration of parents and students are present. (not required by CDC for outdoors, but just as added safety protocol)
- Staff will also maintain social distancing between one another during and after camp.
- Social distancing will be playfully encouraged between students and staff using games staying 6ft apart.
- Students must arrive to camp with sunscreen already applied, and bring their own sunscreen to reapply throughout the day (instructors will guide them on how to self apply).
- Students are encouraged to bring their own surfboards and wetsuits if they have them.
- Surf Happens wetsuits and jerseys will be issued for the entire week on Monday and students will keep them until returning them at the end of camp on Friday.
- All Surf Happens wetsuits and jerseys will undergo a multi-stage sanitation process after each week’s use.
- Surfboards will be sanitized after each session
- Students may bring their own sack lunches or order a hot lunch from Rincon Brewery.
- Hot lunches will now be individually packaged with no food sharing allowed between students for hot or sack lunches.
- Students are encouraged to bring healthy snacks to eat throughout the day, and during breaks.
- Students must bring their own water bottles ideally two bottles, 1-2 liters. No communal water jugs will be provided by Surf Happens until allowed. We will play the hydration game at the same time as sunscreen re-application To ensure all students stay hydrated and apply proper amounts of sunscreen.